Parcels of books from ISA Schools all around the UK are arriving in Bali to support reading and create the love of reading within schools. Each book is sent by a student with a picture of them inside and some personal details to ensure the recipient feels the book is personal and gives them some insight from where it came.
David Ward set up the charity project through LinkedIn with an English teacher called Beatrix (FiFi) in Bali, “Our Christmas has come true, such wonderful presents for our students, we are so happy and grateful for the support of Mr Ward and other ISA schools, god bless”.
‘Book Pal’ is simple to do – link with a school overseas, or it could be a school you already have links with. Send a photograph within the book of the person kindly donating the book with a few details of themselves and post to the school. The response is so positive and encourages students to read & learn. Create a ‘Book Pal’ box of books within a classroom, a resource for students to learn more about others around the world.
I have created a list below to fiction because novels are capable of changing us – of altering the way we not only think about something, but the way we feel about it too. And this is all the more true when we are teenagers, when our capacity for change and our need to find understanding in the world around us is so great. Please add to this list, any book sent is a book greatly received.
David Ward MA
* Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Wordsworth Classics)
* Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Penguin Classics)
* Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Wordsworth Classics)
* Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Penguin Classics)
* A Room with a View by E M Forster (Penguin Classics)
* Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (Penguin Classics)
* Thank You, Jeeves by P G Wodehouse (Arrow)
* Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Virago Modern Classics)
* Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Pan Books)
* The Outsider by Albert Camus (Penguin Modern Classics)
* 1984 by George Orwell (Penguin)
* Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger (Penguin)
* On the Road by Jack Kerouac (Penguin Modern Classics)
* Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Flamingo Modern Classics)
* Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Faber & Faber)
* One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Penguin Modern Classics)
* Saturday by Ian McEwan (Vintage)
* The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Gollancz)
* The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ by Sue Townsend (Penguin)
* The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield (Wordsworth Editions)
* Kiss Kiss by Roald Dahl (Penguin)
* Miss Marple Omnibus: Volume One by Agatha Christie (HarperCollins)
* Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L Sayers (New English Library)
* The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré (Penguin Modern Classics)
* Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Vintage)