Leehurst Swan: Medal Haul at ISA National Swimming Championships
24th January 2018
It was a Gold and three Bronzes for Leehurst Swan athletes at the ISA National Swimming Championships at the weekend!
Following qualification from the ISA south west swimming championships in November, ten Leehurst Swan swimmers made their way to the Aquatic Centre at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London to represent the south west region at the ISA National Swimming Championships on Sunday 21 January. All ten swimmers did incredibly well to qualify, and were excited to compete in the national finals against tough opposition, despite many of them suffering illness and injury in the final days before the competition.
Mrs Pearce, Head of PE at Leehurst Swan remarked, “I was so proud of all our swimmers and their determination. Our medallists swam strongly, and it was such an honour to see them collect their medals.
Faye Vincent had been very unwell in the week leading up to the competition, so we were unsure if she would be well enough to swim, but she showed sheer grit and determination to swim amazingly in all her races. Her butterfly was phenomenal and earnt her a well deserved gold medal.
Oscar Tang swam strongly in all his events and won a national medal for the second year running. What an achievement!
Ethan Hemming did superbly to come third in his first ever national event. He was obviously inspired by meeting Duncan Goodhew the evening before his race.
A special mention to Michaela Salmon who, unfortunately for the second year running, finished a very close 4th in her individual event. However, Michaela swam a fantastic final leg in the medley relay – taking her team from 5th place to finish in the bronze medal position!
Overall it was a suberb day. Our swimmers were fantastic ambassadors for the school and we have lots to look forward to in the future of swimming at Leehurst Swan. Our swimming teacher, Jenny Wiltshire, is doing an amazing job in training our athletes, who continue to go from strength to strength. How many swimmers can we get through to Nationals next year?”
Other Leehurst Swan results from the ISA national swimming championships include:
- Sebastian: U20 Boys 100m Backstroke (5th), 50m Freestyle Relay (5th)
- Oscar Tang: U14 Boys 50m Backstroke (3rd), 50m Freestyle Individual (4th) 50m Freestyle Relay (5th), and Medley Relay (5th)
- Michaela Salmon: U11 Girls 50m Freestyle Individual (4th) and 50m Freestyle Relay (3rd)
- Ruaraidh: U14 Boys 50m Breaststroke (6th) and Medley Relay (5th)
- Ethan Hemming: U10 Boys 50m Breaststroke (3rd) and Individual 50m Freestyle Relay (5th)
- Josiah: U10 Boys 50m Backstroke (6th) and Freestyle Relay (5th)
- Jack: U16 Boys 100m Backstroke and Medley Relay – unable to attend due to injury
- Max: U16 Boys Freestyle Relay – unable to swim due to illness
- Faye Vincent: U13 Girls 50m Backstroke (5th), 50m Butterfly (1st), Freestyle Relay (5th)
Well done to all our swimmers. It was a fun day and a memorable experience.
Group image (L-R): Faye, Michaela, Oscar and Ethan